Six years ago I met an eye doctor I’ll never forget—Dr. Irving Kernis.
Dr. Kernis quickly became one of my giants and mentors on this vision mission. He was smart, sharp, and sincere. He took me under his wing as if I was one of his daughters.
Dr. Kernis was proud of his age, “Next year I’ll be 90!” Highly educated and politically correct, I could always count on him for advice and wisdom. I’m sorry to say today is the third anniversary of his passing. We sadly lost Dr. Kernis on September 25, 2005.
I remember “nit picking” the initial drafts of the Vision First form with him in 2002 down to the commas and fonts. A form with meaning and purpose was best. We wanted our form to be great. Oh how I miss him. He was proud of our work and wanted Illinois to be a leader for children’s vision.
Today our Vision First form seeks approval from the Illinois Department of Public Health (IDPH) during the new eye exam law’s rulemaking. DPH proposed the State’s form shall be the only form accepted as proof of an eye exam. The proposed rule is flawed. We need your help.
Here are the benefits of our Vision First form:
• Designed for the parent and teacher.
• Provides education on children’s vision.
• Suitable for recommended and required eye exams.
• Emphasizes a comprehensive eye and vision examination.
• Illustrates eye health, visual acuity, refractive evaluation, and visual efficiency.
• Accompanies prewritten letters for schools.
• Contains a vision screening disclaimer.
• Includes a Reference Page for parents and teachers.
• Represents high standards of eye care.
• Brings meaning and purpose to an eye examination.
We hope you will join us in our quest to have our Vision First form approved as proof of an eye exam. Read my letter of objection and sample letters to DPH here. Petition signatures also count through October 18, 2008 at the Care 2 website here. You, too, can make a difference in the eyes of a child.
Dr. Kernis loved the saying, “Healthy eyes and good vision are a child’s best school supply.”
Let’s ensure all children have the best start for a lifetime of learning. Support the approval of the Vision First form today.
Copyright (c) 2008 Janet Hughes. All rights reserved.